Window World of Connecticut
In order to add curb appeal to your Connecticut home for years to come, and to keep your windows looking fresh, once your new windows are installed proper care is imperative. To maintain a brand-new look for your windows, we recommend a minimal semi-annual cleaning. Here are some tips for washing without compromising any elements of your new vinyl windows:
Do’s for Caring for your Windows:
- Start with just water and a soft cloth. If necessary, you can use a mild cleaner.
- Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
- If lubrication is needed, use a silicone spray.
Don’ts for Caring for your Windows:
- Use Power washers or high-pressure sprays: the force of the liquid could damage the caulking around the window, which ensures water-tightness.
- Use liquid grease remover, strong soaps and detergents containing organic solvents, nail polish/paint remover, furniture polish, or cleaners containing chlorine bleach, as these substances are potentially damaging to the surface of the vinyl.
- Use sharp objects during the cleaning process.
- Even mildly abrasive cleaners, like Soft Scrub, can scratch the surface of the glass or Window frame: avoid the use of any abrasive agent.
- Use oil-based spray lubricants such as WD-40, as they attract dirt.
- Paint or varnish vinyl windows.
Cleaning a Screen:
Screens can be cleaned easily with a soft brush accessory of a vacuum.
Tracks can be washed with a small, stiff nylon brush, then wiped down with a soft cloth. It is important to ensure that the tracks are free of dirt, leaves, sand, grease, or other outdoor elements as they can be ground into the vinyl tracks when the sashes are operated.
Cleaners for Vinyl:
- Murphy Oil Soap
- Solution of 30% Vinegar and 70% Water
If, after trying the options listed above, you still cannot remove a stain, try using mineral spirits or a 3% Hydrogen Peroxide solution. However, make sure that after using one of these options, you wash the area with soap and water and wipe clean.
Cleaners for Caulk:
Cleaners for Glass:
- Regular or ammonia-based glass cleaners, like Windex
If you have questions about cleaning the windows in your Connecticut home, call on the experts at Window World of Connecticut! We are more than happy to help you keep your Window World windows looking as fresh and new as ever!